The NewsCache Project Homepage will be moved to www.linuxhacker.at/newscache. New Releases can be found on the new site. Please update your link.
NewsCache is a free cache server for USENET News. NewsCache acts to
news reading clients like a news server, except that it stores only those
articles that have been requested by at least one client. NewsCache targets
problems of the current News System like network bandwidth consumption or
the IO load caused by news clients.
The original author is Thomas Gschwind. Here you find
the original home of NewsCache, the complete
documentation and the original
Status of the project. I collect the patches und create improvments since 2000. I created also the last version 0.99.19 on Thomas Gschwind's Homepage. On this page you can find a stable version of NewsCache with these patches and also a delevopment version of NewsCache. The goal is to create a new improved stable version of NewsCache. You can find a detailed description of bugfixes, improvments, new functionality in the ChangeLog file. The mailing list (email@example.com) is dead since March 2002. Alex Holden from linuxhacker.org creates a new one (see Mailinglist).
- 2004-06-22: Correcting nntpcache link. Some of the mailinglist archiv and search features are not working - Alex try to fix it
- 2004-01-16: 1.1.92: bugfix tin hanger. Mike Harding reported this problem. Updating man pages. See Changelog for details. The status changed from Development to Testing. The major goal is stabilizing the progrom and find bugs. The next stable version would be 1.2.
- 2004-01-14: Thomas Gschwind has no more time to make further development on NewsCache. He placed a notice and a link to this Project site on his NewsCache master site.
- 2003-12-11: 1.1.91: client command parse bugfix, reported by Konstantin Nikonenko
- 2003-10-27: 1.1.90: improved authenticaion model (with PAM), improved documentation, bugfixes.
- 2003-04-10: uploading newscache 1.1.12 debian package (sid) - not a official package - only for easy testing
- 2003-04-06: FreeBSD Port by Tilman Linneweh
- 2003-04-05: 1.1.12: new optimized purge strategie (newscacheclean)
- 2003-03-23: FreeBSD Port 0.99.22p1 available (Tilman Linneweh)
- 2003-03-21: RedHat contrib RPM for 0.99.22p1 available (Carles Arjona)
- 2003-03-18: Bugfix (stable version)! DATE command returns localtime. Thanks to Matthias Andree.
- 2003-02-13: 1.1.11: doxygen comments, bugfixes, lowercase program names, new newscacheclean manual page, tested on RedHat Advanced Server on Itanium II with g++ 3.2 (HP Testdrive Programm)
- 2003-01-20: 1.1.9: updatenews bugfix. New classes: ArtSpooler, ObjLock
- 2002-12-18: 1.1.8: Minor bugfixes. Not a official Debian Package 1.1.8 for sid available
- 2002-11-25: 1.1.7: using socket++ headerfiles from /usr/include/socket++/
- 2002-11-23: NewsCache 1.1.6 released and tested with RedHat 8.0.
- 2002-11-22: This NewsCache Project on Freshmeat
- 2002-11-09: New mailinglist (newscache at linuxhacker.org), thanks to Alex Holden at linuxhacker.org
- 2002-11-09: Not a official 0.99.22 Debian package for woody
- 2002-11-05: Carles Arjona creates a RPM for Version 0.99.22
- 2002-10-13: New Development Version 1.1.4
- 2002-10-08: Tilman Linneweh has join the project and tries to port NewsCache 1.1 to FreeBSD, see Porting to FreeBSD
- 2002-10-08: New Development Version 1.1.3. POST Hanger Bugfix, see ChangeLog.
- 2002-10-05: New Development Version 1.1.2. Important Bugfix, see ChangeLog.
FreeBSD: NewsCache by Tilman Linneweh
Goal: Porting to g++ 3.0 Standard(see this page). Possibles solutions for the attach problem descriped in point 3 are Socket++ or GNU Common C++. I decide to use Socket++.
Status: compile with gcc 2.95, 2.96, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2. Run on Debian 3.0, RedHat 7.3, RedHat 8.0 RedHat Advanced Server on Itanium II, Debian 3.0 on Alpha.
Require: Socket++ Version 1.12.9, see here
Patch (applying on 0.99.22): NewsCache-0.99.22p1.patch.gz
FreeBSD: NewsCache-0.99.22p1 by Tilman Linneweh
Debian (not containing pacht): not a official Debian package for woody by Herbert Straub: newscache_0.99.22-1_i386.deb, newscache_0.99.22-1.diff.gz
RPM: newscache-0.99.22p1-1.i386.rpm by Carles Arjona
- The post function doesn't check the message-id.
linuxhacker.org provides the NewsCache mailinglist. It is available under http://www.linuxhacker.org/linuxhacker/lists.php.
Send a mail (Subject and Body ignored) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send a mail (Subject and Body ignord) to email@example.com.
!!! The archiv does'nt display the last entries - Alex is working on this problem - workaround: click "Messages by date" !!!
A NewsCache Mailinglist Archiv is also available http://www.linuxhacker.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi/9.
Search the Archiv
!!! Not available at the moment - Alex is working on this problem !!!
A Search Engine for the Mailinglist Archiv is available: http://www.linuxhacker.org/cgi-bin/search.cgi. Select NewsCache from the pull-down box which currently says "All Lists" to limit the search to the NewsCache list. Note that the search engine indexer only runs once a day, so it can take 24 hours or more after a message is posted before the search engine will be able to find it.
Please send comments on these web pages to Herbert Straub
Last Update: 2004-06-22
Copyright (C) 2002-2004 Herbert Straub